I have, over the course of time, heard of using woolen balls in the dryer to speed drying times and aid in the elimination of static electricity. As far as I could tell, this only involved making very tight balls out of wool yarn or roving and then felting them. Most recently, my mother-in-law was asking me about them, so I decided to see if I could make some from an old felted sweater. I began by cutting the sleeve from a man’s felted wool sweater. I wanted to have some of the yarn to stitch with so I painstakingly worked several lengths of yarn free from the top edge where I had cut it from the sweater. Then, I folded the sleeve in half lengthwise and cut it along the fold. I folded both of the halves that I had cut in half lengthwise again and cut each one along the fold line so that I had four some-what equal strips from the sleeve.
After I had the strips cut out, I started at the cuff end of a strip and began rolling it into as tight a ball as I could manage; turning it back and forth as I rolled to catch the edges and form a cylindrical shape. I had to use several pins to hold the edges in place while I threaded a yarn needle with some of the yarn that I had removed from the top of the sleeve before I cut it up. I stitched the edges in place, pinching and tucking as necessary to get as near to a ball shape as I could. I now have four of these hard, fist-sized dryer balls that I am going to be testing in my dryer to see if it really does reduce static electricity or drying time. Stay tuned!!! 🙂