I bought this predominately metal bird feeder several years ago, thinking that it would last longer than the plastic ones. I was right. The metal parts did outlast the plastic parts! The feeder had a clear plastic center which held the seed and allowed you to see how full it was. Over time, this grew cloudy and brittle and eventually broke when a squirrel jumped up and knocked the feeder off. The metal pieces were in such good condition that I hated to throw them away and purchase another, so I began to look for a replacement for the missing middle piece. At first, I thought that a two liter bottle cut down to size would work, but the diameter of the bottle was too large to fit. I finally found a plastic container that would work–a large peanut butter jar! I cleaned and repainted the metal parts of the feeder and then removed the bottom of the empty jar with a wood-burning tool. I cut two flaps, one on either side of the bottom edges of the jar, and pushed them up toward the center. I cut down the top of the jar to remove the screw section and then assembled the feeder. The peanut butter jar worked wonderfully! If I did not point it out, most people would probably never give it a second glance.

This entry was posted in New Life for Plastic Containers and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to BIRD FEEDER FIX

  1. Elly says:

    I’d be careful about using melting methods to cut plastic. I’ve used a hot rod to make holes, and the fumes are deadly. I work outside in good weather, and under my exhaust fans when I don’t want to go outside. (the retention oven concerns me a little too, because I think the polystyrene may give off fumes when the pot heats it up.)
    Thanks for all the creative ideas…some cool stuff. I’ve shared some of your ideas with other friends who are concerned about their environment.

    • You are right to be cautious about the fumes of melting plastic. Normally, I also choose to work outdoors, but if not, I do work in an area with good ventilation. As far as the retention oven bag giving off any fumes, I can only say that I haven’t noticed any odors except those of the food. That does not mean that there aren’t any fumes, but I wouldn’t think there are a lot.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s